Monday, April 2, 2012

Typical structure of a journal article

Typical structure of a journal article


Title

first idea of what it's about

Abstract

brief summary: purpose, method, findings, conclusions. Emphasize the original contributions.

Introduction

purpose of study, a statement of your hypothesis or specific question to be explored, how it fits with previous research

Method/Procedures

how the study was carried out

Findings/Results

what was found

Discussion/Conclusion

what was learned and how it can be applied to future research


Suggested Order For Writing:

The easiest way to determine your main idea and contribution is by writing your discussion section first. After confirming your terminology and methods, write your conclusion. Write the introduction next. Finally, use the topic sentence from each paragraph and create an abstract. If your abstract does not capture your purpose, method, findings, conclusions, and original contributions, rewrite your topic sentences.





- Updated by Vince on Fri 12 Aug 2016
  • I have been a full-time international graduate admissions consultant since 2002
  • Based in Tokyo, Japan, I help clients around the world
  • In 2007, I launched VincePrep because I wanted to help the best candidates aiming for the top schools
  • To share my insights with a talented team, I rejoined Agos as Consulting Director in 2014
  • Now, I lead 10 professionals who deliver Japan’s best graduate admissions results
  • I also serve as Board President of The Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants (AIGAC)
  • Given my ongoing professional and personal commitments, I accept very few clients
  • Usually, I refer prospects to one of my highly-experienced and successful colleagues
  • If interested, please complete this intake form
  • Meanwhile, please explore my YouTube channel, and be sure to subscribe for the latest updates
  • Thank you for your interest, and best wishes for your success!

Featured Post

What are the five reasons to use passive voice?

USE ACTIVE VOICE As listed below, there are only 5 reasons one should EVER use passive voice. If you don't need to use passive voi...